Friday, May 13, 2016

Loire Valley Sunday 8th May

Happy Mother's Day.

This is the 4th time I have attempted to post this post, hopefully this will send!

This day we have a full day of excursions to 3 of the many castles in the Loire Valley. The first was the Chateau Azays le-Rideau built on an island in the river during the 15th century. Our guide explained that each owner of this lovely castle had during their time of ownership renovated or extended to the extent they ran of of money and had to sell. Apart from owners who lived in the castle during the French Revolution, who vacated not of their choice.

We enjoyed a great lunch in a restored stable of the Villandry Chateau, later walking off our meal in the beautiful gardens. DH decided to explore the gardens at his own pace, which this time was turbo. Often as I walked around viewing a particular section I would hear my name called. Scanning the area I would discover he would be on a higher level overlooking my progress. He would yell out to me, sometimes shouting over the noise of a cascading waterfall or fountain, that the view for photos was better where he was! The park had a maze which I ventured in and out, without back-tracking my steps.

The last of the castles was Usse'. Its fortified towers had inspired Charles Perrault to write the story about 'Sleeping Beauty'. He had also written other fairy tales, Tom Thumb, Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood and many other stories based on the life in the 15th century.

On the bus trip back to the ship, many motor bikes passed us. More than I thought usual. As explained to me, Le Manns bike riding races were held this long weekend and many riders and their passengers were returning from the weekend at Le Manns.


Gardens of Villandry


Us at the enterance to Usse Castle


Fairytale Usse Castle with fortified towers, turrets and steeples

No comments:

Post a Comment