Friday, June 14, 2019

Tallin, Estonia. 10th June 2019

Beautiful old town of Tallin.

Paul and I decided to catch a HOHO Bus to take us around the old walled city of Tallin. Paul would return to the ship after it had circled back but I would hop off at the highest section of the old town, Toopera Hill to discover the cathedral, town hall and lookouts over the lower section of the town, before walking down the stairs to walk around and enjoy its attractions, then walk back to the ship. 

Great plan, 99. Paul eventually got back to the ship after the driver pulled into an area near the wharf, too far away for him to walk, then circled back to the old town where he instructed all on the bus to disembark. Paul wasn't prepared to accept getting off here, so when the driver spoke to Paul about why he wasn't getting off, he explained he wanted to go back to the wharf....the area where he alighted the bus. No worries, the driver drove back to the original pick-up area, dropped Paul, his only passenger, off then drove further up the wharf and stopped. Paul was happy to continue to walk back to the ship and call it a day.

My experience walking around Tallinn was a hoot. The place was swarming with tours and their guides blocking the narrow streets whilst they gave their spill about what ever they happened to be standing in front of. I would walk up, stop and listen then move on to another site and listen to another guide talking about that area.



                                                              Toompea Castle.


Russian Orthodox Alexeander Nevsky Cathedral.
Check out the Cathedral domes.


the crowds going into the Cathedral.



Oldest church in Tallin. St Mary's Cathedral. Originally RC, it became Lutheran in 16C.


On several stages I was confused to know which cobbled street to go down. Groups were walking towards me, others turning off in different streets or walking away. Either coming from or going to somewhere of interest. On stage I stopped to listen to a guide who started to say his group was an ideal size to go into the shop alongside us, walk through, turn left and go down some stairs. He would give them 20 minutes if they decided to go.  Well, I was happy to see what they were going to see, so followed. When I got to the basement/cellar (which just happened to be the old cellar in Toompera Hill), I found a serious line up of people waiting for the toilets! Well why not? So I waited for my turn in line and avoided having to search one out later on.


                           The intersection where I heard about going into the building
                                                which is on the left of the photo.


                                    I don't know how he coped with the 'crush' (pun) of people                                                  around him but I think he did a great trade selling crushed                                                                            pomegranate juice.



                                         The line up in the Oldest Cellar in Tallin.

But up on the cobbled streets again I decided to head in the direction of where people where coming from. It was one of the famous lookouts over the old walled city. Bingo!
There were hundreds of tourists all there trying to get to an advantage stop to take their photos. I'm not kidding, a press of at least 20 people deep, all vying to get a photo. this is where I like the fact I am tall.


                                  OMG! The crowds at this lookout is unbelievable.


View from Lookout.


View St Olaf's Church in middle background of view over the Lower old Town.



                      The old trading city of Tallin. Lots of beautiful old buildings.

Photos taken, I head back and make my way following another group to discover another lookout which wasn't as crowded. I check my map to work out where I could be and notice there are stairs which will take me into the lower town but they come out to the side of the old wall. Do I take them or find others which will take me into the heart of the lower town?  I then spot a couple about my age who seem to be either Brits or American (an asumption) going down the steps without hestitation. So off I follow. Good choice. I get down to the bottom and wander in via the Nun's Gate.


                                                    the crowds at the other lookout.



                View from this lookout taking in the old walled section of the town.


                                   Half way down the stairs from Toompea Hill.


       Alongside part of the old city walls and an entrance gate. Note the tarrets.

I am rather chuffed with myself so celebrate by going into a bakery and having a coffee. Whilst there I join a couple at a table and have a lovely natter with them to find out they are from the Sapphire Princess as well but had not been up to Toompera Hill. They gave me some tips on where to head on my continued walk. 

So I wander around this beautiful town full of brightly decorated buildings. The locals seemed to smile more than the people I encounted in SPB. I spent about another two hours walking around, stopping every now and again to listen to a tour group and referring to my map to make sure I am in the area I think I am.

                                     In a cobbled street sided by beautiful old buildings
                                               and packed with the many tourists.


                                     Town Hall Square with the Gothic Town Hall.




I found the area where people come in from the countryside to sell their hand knitted
goods. (some, I think might not be). But this lady with her grand daughter pictured alongside her, knitted this cap. I just had to buy it. 

My feet were starting to tire as well as my back, so headed back to the ship with no problems. 

2 comments: