Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day 35 Ashdod and Jerusalem

Day 35 Ashdod, Jerusalem and Dead Sea

Emotional, overwhelming, powerful, jaw dropping….

Wow what an incredible day.

It wasn't the best starts for the day I have experienced but well worth the lack of sleep and general early morning grumps from me. The ship travelled into another time zone overnight and instead of gaining another hour, we lost one. The hectic day in Cairo, the short night and the early morning start gave me good excuses to feel out of sorts. I think everyone in the group felt the same way, so the first hour on the bus our guide did all the talking.

We passed many crops as we travelled into Jerusalem, the modern farming techniques a sharp contrast to yesterdays. I couldn't help but be amazed at the difference of the two countries which are separated not only by a short distance but by culture and infrastructure.

Our trip into Jerusalem took the scenic route, until we drove to the Palestine check point with its high metal fence, topped off with razor wire. We come from a country surrounded by sea with our nearest neighbour several hundred kilometres away, I find the division hard to digest and can only hope one day differences are settled.

We entered the Old City of Jerusalem via the Jaffa Gate and explored the narrow alley ways. It is home to the cornerstones of three faiths: Christianity, Judaism and Islam. As our guide walked us through the sections of the Christian Quarter, I had been busy taking photos, completely staggered that these alleyways are the same as they were over 2,000 years ago. There were little shops selling souvenirs, religious items, spices and clothing. The group had stopped at a small square and our guide had just finished talking about a building in front of us, as I and a few others had come up from the rear and had missed out on what had been said. Anyway, we all walked directly into a church which was crowded with various groups, immediately turned right and climbed a very steep staircase to the first floor. When we reached the top, I asked Paul what were we looking at…….my heart missed a beat and the impact of what I was actually looking at completely floored me. We were in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and I was looking at the site where Jesus had been crucified!

We walked down the stairs and saw the area where Jesus had been anointed and the Tomb of Christ itself. This, I was not prepared for and I am now still emotional about where I have been and what I have seen.  I actually went into the Tomb of Christ. Oh my goodness. Mel and Bill, I wish you were there with us; you were both, very much, in my thoughts at that time.

We then head off weaving our way through the Jewish Quarter, taking in the various sites until we gathered at a large open square where we see the Western (Wailing) Wall, the most holy Jewish site in the world. People were praying at the Wall. It is the only remaining piece of the great Temple; built to hold the Ark of the Covenant. In the cracks of the wall we could see pieces of paper which had written prayers. What another overwhelming experience.

We made our way out of the old city via Herod's Gate, walking through the Moslem Quarter. Our guide then pointed out we were travelling along the Via Dolorosa, the path that traditionally traces the last steps of Jesus Christ. There are 14 Stations of the Cross which are connected to a particular event. The 1st station is where Jesus was condemned to death; the last is the Holy Sepulchre. Pinch.

Once out of the old city we walked past the Mount of Olives to the Garden of Gethsemane where Jesus was praying when he was arrested. We saw over 2,000 year old olive trees there. We saw the Church of All Nations next to the garden before boarding our bus to drive to the Dead Sea.

We were in a different mood when got to the Dead Sea. The temperature in the afternoon had risen, however it was not hot. Actually, since Dubai we have not experienced stinking hot days, warm but not hot, which has been a plus since we have been in areas which would have been unbearable if it had been over 34C. Paul decided he did not want to 'float' in the Dead Sea, so I joined the rest of our group in the water. Our guide suggested not to let the water in our mouths and not to splash the water onto our faces as it was very salty and very unpleasant. Yeah, was she right! I accidently splashed some on my face and I reckon a droplet got onto my lips and near my left eye……….well it was the worst taste I have ever experienced and my eye stung like anything. I wasn't game to wipe my eyes as my hands were wet. I just squinted my left eye till I managed to get out of the water, walk up the hill and rinse it under water. I rinsed my mouth several times but it took several hours and copious drinks of water to get rid of the taste. Getting out of the water was a mean feat to manage. I had trouble getting to stand in the water, then, when I did, the mud underfoot was very slimy and uneven. But apparently I am told the mineral-laden waters are supposed to be very healing! I survived the Dead Sea!

1 comment:

  1. Ah Jerusalem, thank you for sharing your day there. It is bringing back many memories for me!The Church of the Holy Sepulchre is so non-descript on the outside, you hardly know you are going in to such a place.

    ReplyDelete