Sunday, May 28, 2017

Santorini 25th May 2017

Located in the Aegean Sea, about 120 miles from the mainland, Greece. Santorini was formed by an intense volcanic eruption over 3,000 years ago.

Low cloud cover this morning obscured the tops of this island and it wasn't until mid afternoon that the sun's heat burnt off the cloud to expose the dramatic cliff. Now visable were the white washed buildings perched on the edge of the steep sides of the water filled volcano.

Earlier this morning I joined the group for my tour early, so ended up being the first to leave the ship. In hintsight it was most opportune as we were not caught up in the traffic snarls plagued by the later tours. We tended across to Athinios where the buses were parked in readiness to take us on our tour. The road zig-zagged numerous times to the top. Once at the top it wasn't long before we arrived at the winery for a wine tasting  from some of the world's oldest vineyards whilst enjoying some pretty spectacular jaw-dropping views.

Then we were off to Oia, situated on the northern tip of Santorini where we spent 90 mins exploring the charming, tourist packed village of blue-domed churches. A quick escape out of the town before the later usual traffic jam on this narrow road, to Fira, the island,s capital.

Fira is where the cable car is positioned and the famous alternative, zig-zagging, donkey crowded and donkey pooed steps from the town to the old port. I wandered around cobblestone lanes. lined with a host of shops and cafes before checking the line-up for the cable-car but considered the line up was too long. Instead of joining the line I decided to stop for a Greek Coffee then join what I thought would be a shorter queue. Ha. Not to be. A hour later the line was a least 5 times longer and as I found out later, an hour and 1/4 wait! Instead I decided to wak down the steps which took me about 35 minutes, for most fitter walkers it probably took about 20 minutes. The area smelt of donkey poo and when I was in the lift on board the ship on return, all I could smell was donkey poo! There were several other people in the lift, so I don't know if it was from my shoes or theirs but when I got back to the cabin, the soles of my shoes were clean. I hope the carpets in the corridores were vaccumed well that night!

                                        Cable cars leaving the peak


Alternative route, with donkeys and donkey poo!


Photo from our ship of cable car and the steps


Watch out for Donkeys!


                                                       Fira, the capital of Santorini



                    Blue domed churches in Oia, the northern-most town on Santorini

                                            

                                                                 northern tip at Oia

 
                                                    laneways in Oia
                   

                                        at the winery, note the early morning haze


                                        road up from where we tendered off


                                          Majestic Princess, shot taken from Fira

3 comments:

  1. We still have this port on our to do bucket list. We've both been down with the dreaded flu, so your posts are a joy.
    A & K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annie, I am in the Hilton, Aquaba, where I have 'fee' wifi, so lots of time to post. Sorry to heae about your flu....I suppose it isn't esy to be baby-sitting when feeling lousy. Paul is home, he arrived Friday night, just before I left on Sat night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visitors from all over the world come to Santorini islands to experience the heavenly touch of nature and remember the beauty as a real-time experience. Transfers in Santorini

    ReplyDelete