Thursday, July 13, 2023

Saturday, 17th June 2023

Mystery Island

Water shuttle access to this small pristine island of Vanuatu while the ship is anchored takes about 30 mins. The shuttles run back and forth continuously throughout the day, making it easy to spend a couple of hours or a little longer exploring this well maintained and clean island. 



Once we landed we followed the other shuttle passengers along the short jetty to start the beginning of our time on this paradise island. We were greeted by serenading islanders before wandering off to explore. It wasn't too long that a plane landed and deposited it's cargo. It was quite fortunate for us to witness the plane land and take-off from here. 


Plane about to turn around and head up the grassed runway to take off.


Mystery Island airport.


Cargo dropped off by the plane.


We then wandered off to explore. My ship-mates decided to check-out the village markets selling sarongs, postcards and island trinkets while I decided to circumnavigate the island and try snorkeling off the beach. As I left the market area, I discovered massages were offered in thatched huts under the palm trees overlooking the sea and open braiding huts. They were doing a roaring trade of braiding the young children's hair. I noticed when back on board the ship most of the under 15 year old's' had had their hair braided. I had walked past a man in charge of two flouro green lizards, allowing people to hold them and have their photos taken. Apparently the lizards are called Fred and George. 



pristine walkways which were swept before we had arrived.



I couldn't resist, a walkway round-about!


Yes, there were several long drops scattered around the island.


The end of the runway where to plane started is take off.


Snorkeling beach with the Carnival Splendor in background.

This is where I snorkeled, there were coral, both living and damaged/bleached. I saw quite a variety of different shaped and coloured fish. I could honestly say over 50 different varieties of fish. The water was pleasantly tempered and clear. 



View from the jetty.


On the shuttle returning to the ship.

Once on board I headed back to the cabin to shower and wash my hair, then caught up with the girls to watch as the ship left Mystery Island. 


This is where the local village is.



Views of the main island where the islanders live. 


Mystery Island from the ship. It's a shame that the island was in cloud cover when I took the photo.  It's not very big. 









No comments:

Post a Comment