Friday, May 31, 2019

Victoria and Albert Museum and Harrods

Wednesday, 29th May 2019 London

A day on my own as Paul has a rest day. As the Natural History Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum and Harrods are walking distance from the hotel, I have decided to explore these attractions. The weather forecast for today showed max 20C, cloudy with showers in the afternoon. Well; plenty of time to head off without getting wet. It is exceptionally fortunate when our body clocks are still on South Australian time which allows us to wake up at a ridiculous time in the morning, shower, dress and have breakfast before 7.30am! 

Getting out and about early also helps to avoid the crowds, for a time anyway. There are tourists everywhere and I am told the season hasn't really started. I headed off, walking up Cromwell Road, past the Natural History Museum (which I will save for our second stay in London, in 3 weeks time) and into Victoria and Albert Museum,



View from our hotel window, the first building on lower left is the Natural History Museum, then the V &A Museum. The city of London in background (London Eye, Shard, Cheese Grater, etc)



                               Photo of National History Museum from street level.

I had mistakenly thought the V & A Museum contained a lot of old clothing from past era's. No, I was mistaken, it is an amazing collection of furniture, clothing, statues, cultural treasures, architecture and ornaments from various countries and eras.


                                                      Front of V & A Museum.


                                            Statue of an South East Asia display.

I wondered around for a while, joined in on a couple of free tours when I happened to be in an area where a guide was talking, then wondering off again. The guides are so knowledgeable but also very long winded, spending a lot of time on an individual item. I discovered benches with head phones in some areas, especially the Medieval and Renaissance section, so sat, resting my tired back and listened to descriptions and music (usually choirs singing) of what I happened to be sitting in front of.




This Medieval Altar piece come from a Church in Germany, which had been destroyed, some centuries ago. I sat down in front and listened to the commentary of the various scenes carved out and then heard 3 pieces from various choirs singing in Latin the hymns which would have been sung in the church at the time. (near the headphones were the words in English of what the choir was singing, so I had an idea of what was sung).

I wondered through another area full of Casts of some of the world's most inspiring objects. Cultural treasures, ornaments and architecture. At first I thought they were the originals, but no, fantastic reproductions.


Plaster casts record the finely carved details. I think this is Trajan's Column.


Trajan's Column.


                                            The casts taken from various tomes.


                                  Cast of Michelangelo's David in rear of the gallery.

In the middle of the museum I discovered a lovely courtyard with a shallow water feature, potted plants and cafe.


                                                   The inner courtyard and garden.

After about 2 hours I had had enough, though I think if I really did it justice I could come back each day for weeks and still find something new and impressive. Next, I headed off to Harrods. I am glad Paul wasn't here with me, I think I would have about 2 minutes in here before it was time to leave!. I myself found this iconic, upmarket department store over the top. This is my opinion only, but it was claustrophobic and heavy. It had a closed in feel and didn't flow. There were lots of assistants standing around each area waiting to help, in one area there seemed to be more assistants than shoppers and a lot of sightseers. I found the Food Hall and a place to sit and enjoy a cup of cappuccino. GBP 6.05!.



                                                      Egyptian decorated area.




                                                            Glitzy perfume area.



                     Area where I enjoyed my coffee. It did taste good, but so it should!

On my walk back to the hotel, I walked past an eatery full of people, I mean chocka block full. I backtracked a couple of steps and realized it was a MacDonald's. I just had to take a photo.


                                 Somewhere in expensive to buy something to eat.
                                                                   Macca's.

No comments:

Post a Comment